Level 3 Cook Technical Training offered via New, Instructor led Virtual Format
Technical training for Level 3 Cook will be offered January 9 – April 21, 2023 via a new, instructor-led virtual format. This new format will offer flexibility to apprentices and help address difficulties employers may have in releasing cook apprentices for their technical training while still meeting the practical outcomes outlined in the Atlantic harmonized apprenticeship curriculum. Please note that the instructor will be contacting clients in the class prior to the start of the course to provide them with sign-on credentials to enable them to participate in the course.
What will the learning experience be?
Training will be delivered over 15 weeks with a combination of:
- Approximately 8 hours per week of self-paced flexible study time utilizing Brightspace Learning Management System.
- Work may include various readings, videos, assignments, and quizzes.
- A weekly 2-hour instructor-led virtual class session via Microsoft Teams.
What resources do apprentices need for this training?
- A computer with webcam and sound (A smartphone cannot be used for the weekly Teams sessions)
- A quiet place without interruptions to participate in the weekly MS Teams sessions.
- A copy of Pearson’s OnCooking 7th Canadian Edition, digital or hard copy. Note: many apprentices found the hard copy much easier and convenient to navigate. Older versions of the text cannot be used.
- A smartphone or other means of filming high resolution video and taking pictures of assigned work, and an inexpensive smartphone tripod/stand that can be positioned to record activities.
Participants may be eligible to receive support. Please contact Employment Nova Scotia Toll Free at 1-877-223-0888 for information on available supports.
Those who have questions are encouraged to reach out to their Industry Training Consultant (ITC). Otherwise, click here to complete the enrollment form or click here to access the Technical Training schedule. The Registrar will be in touch with participants with confirmation of registration. Enroll by December 29, 2022 - Space is limited.