The objective of the Apprenticeship START program is to encourage employers to register, retain and support their apprentices to completion during their apprenticeship journey. The START program has a focus of small to medium-sized businesses/organizations including not-for-profits and social enterprises that have business locations and jobs in Nova Scotia. Companies with headquarters outside of Nova Scotia are eligible to apply only if they also have a physical location in Nova Scotia.
Employers can receive up to $25,000 in funding for the duration of the apprenticeship. If the employer hires an apprentice from an equity-deserving group, the funding increases to $30,000.
For more details on eligibility, please see the Apprenticeship START Fact Sheet
How to Apply for START Funding
- Review the Apprenticeship START Program Guidelines
- Review the Apprenticeship START Program Q&As
- Complete an Apprenticeship Agreement with your apprentice and the Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency. An Industry Training Consultant (ITC) will review your application and determine eligibility. Visit our Contact Us page for a list of Industry Training Consultants by trade/region.
Canadian Apprenticeship Service is a new financial incentive that is available to employers who hire new apprentices in the construction and manufacturing Red Seal trades.
Funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Apprenticeship Services Program.
Supports for Books, Technology, Travel and Childcare – Employment NS Apprenticeship Program
You may be eligible to receive Employment Nova Scotia (ENS) funding during your training. To apply online for financial assistance to cover some or all miscellaneous costs, visit the Employment Nova Scotia – Apprenticeship Program website and click “Start now”.
- The application is accessible via LaMPSS Online using a computer, laptop, tablet, or cell phone.
- Eligible miscellaneous costs include accommodations, travel, childcare, books, technology measures.
- Receipts will be required for childcare, books, technology measures.
- You may be eligible for advanced payment for books and/or technology measures which will allow you to have funds to purchase these items before your training begins.
Note: The following changes are effective for all applications with start dates on or after July 1, 2023:
- Technology Measures will be available for individuals who meet the ENS Apprenticeship Program eligibility requirements, and their training/learning formats are either:
- Virtual, or
- Virtual and in-person combined.
Eligible Costs for Technology Measures
- The level of support for Technology Measures has been adjusted to align with other ENS programs.
- Eligible costs under Technology Measures include a computer system and accessories. Internet is no longer an eligible cost.
Apprentices are encouraged to contact ENS at 1-877-223-0888 if they have any questions about the financial assistance available under this program or how to apply.
Through the MOST program, those under the age of 30 (in the tax year) and who are employed and registered as an apprentice or a certified journeyperson in an eligible skilled trade will receive a rebate on provincial income tax paid on the first $50,000 of income earned.
Eligible workers can apply for their rebate after they file their 2022 income tax return and receive a notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency.
For more information about eligibility or to apply, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Government of Nova Scotia’s website.
Employers may top up an apprentice's loss of wages while the apprentice is attending technical training, and this allowance is not considered as earnings to be deducted from EI benefits. MORE INFO at the Service Canada website...
The Apprenticeship Job Creation Tax Credit is a non-refundable tax credit available to employers equal to 10% of the eligible salaries and wages payable to eligible apprentices in respect of employment after May 1, 2006. The maximum credit is $2,000 per year for each eligible apprentice. MORE INFO at the Canada Revenue Agency website...