The objective of the Apprenticeship START program is to encourage employers to register, retain and support their apprentices to completion during their apprenticeship journey. The START program has a focus of small to medium-sized businesses/organizations including not-for-profits and social enterprises that have business locations and jobs in Nova Scotia. Companies with headquarters outside of Nova Scotia are eligible to apply only if they also have a physical location in Nova Scotia.
Employers can receive up to $25,000 in funding for the duration of the apprenticeship. If the employer hires an apprentice from an under-represented group, the funding increases to $30,000.
For more details on eligibility, please see the Apprenticeship START Fact Sheet
How to Apply for START Funding
- Review the Apprenticeship START Program Guidelines
- Complete an Apprenticeship Agreement with your apprentice and the Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency. An Industry Training Consultant (ITC) will review your application and determine eligibility. Visit our Contact Us page for a list of Industry Training Consultants by trade/region.
Please contact Employment Nova Scotia for information on the following supports.
ENS Toll Free: 1-877-223-0888
- Weekly payments
- Lump-sum (one-time) Payments
- Advanced payment for early purchases
- Reimbursement for previously-made purchases
Employers may top up an apprentice's loss of wages while the apprentice is attending technical training, and this allowance is not considered as earnings to be deducted from EI benefits. MORE INFO at the Service Canada website...
The Apprenticeship Job Creation Tax Credit is a non-refundable tax credit available to employers equal to 10% of the eligible salaries and wages payable to eligible apprentices in respect of employment after May 1, 2006. The maximum credit is $2,000 per year for each eligible apprentice. MORE INFO at the Canada Revenue Agency website...