Please read below before submitting the Increase in Ratio Form
The General Regulations of the Apprenticeship and Trades Qualifications Act establishes a minimum ratio of apprentices to journeypersons at one journeyperson to two apprentices unless otherwise stated in the trade regulations. Section 24(1) of the General Regulations allows for an increase in ratio of apprentices to journeypersons upon approval from the Director. Circumstances exist where employers may be unable to meet the ratio requirements stipulated in the trade regulations and general regulations. In such cases, an employer may apply to the Director to vary the minimum ratio of apprentices to journeypersons.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who completes and submits the Increase in Ratio Application form?
A: The employer completes and submits the application by mail, email or fax to the Agency.
Q: How is an increase in ratio determined?
A: The Agency will review the Increase in Ratio Application using the following criteria:
- Geographic location of the employer to determine if there is a limited capability to locate and employ journeypersons
- Steps undertaken by the employer to hire more journeypersons
- Whether the employer has previously requested ratio adjustments and has been denied such requests
- Whether previous ratio adjustments were cancelled because of a violation in the terms and/or conditions
- The availability of senior level apprentices; (note: senior level refers to final level apprentices)
- The attendance of registered apprentices in technical training
Q: How will I know if my request for an increase to ratio has been approved?
A: The final decision regarding the request will be communicated to the employer in writing, and will outline any terms and conditions.