Forestry Sector Apprenticeship Initiative
The Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency (NSAA) and the Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC) are working together to connect workers from across the forestry sector to opportunities in the skilled trades. The Forestry Sector Apprenticeship Initiative is available to employees in the sector who are interested in pursuing an apprenticeship in a skilled trade and/or achieve trade certification. Through the program, applicants will be provided with one-on-one advising supports and customized solutions based on individual need, at no cost.
Examples of supports that may be provided through the Forestry Initiative
- Assisting existing apprentices to connect with other employment opportunities that will support them to continue their apprenticeship and achieve trade certification.
- Offering trade refresher programs for individuals who have earned practical hours in a trade but without technical training. These programs will provide gap training and prepare candidates to challenge for trade certification.
- Providing training for certified journeypersons who have practical experience in a related second trade and want to pursue trade certification or endorsements to improve their re-employment opportunities.
- Developing enhanced direct-entry programs that provide knowledge and skills in an upfront program to help move interested employees into an apprenticeship opportunity.
- Supporting individuals who need longer-term training to access core programming at NSCC.
For more information about supports, e-mail John Daigle, Forestry Sector Program Advisor, or call 902-867-7586.
What is Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship is a post-secondary career path that will lead to certification in a skilled trade and to a rewarding career as a skilled tradesperson. It involves completing a combination of on-the-job and technical training where skilled trades professionals (certified journeypersons) pass on knowledge and skills to learners (apprentices). The apprenticeship model is designed around the fact that most of what you need to learn will be learned on the job. Technical training sessions are designed to provide needed theory and to fill a few gaps to ensure you know the full scope of the trade.
What is the benefit of trade certification?
Tradespeople are in high demand in all parts of Canada and around the world. Once you receive certification, you are at the top of the pay scale for your trade. Certification can be the starting point for supervisory, management or entrepreneurial opportunities. It will also open the door to taking advanced training such as the Atlantic Trades Business Seal.
Those individuals who receive their certification in a Red Seal will be recognized across Canada as having the competency to work independently in the range of skills and knowledge that define the trade.
How do I apply?
To apply, please fill out the Application Information Form, or call 1-800-494-5651. Once we receive your completed form, we will contact you to arrange an initial interview and begin the process of identifying your future career interests and training needs. All programs and supports made available to you through this initiative will be at no cost to you.